Thank You BK Fox For Teaching Us To Survive

Thank You BK Fox For Teaching Us To Conserve Sweat And Not Water

March 24, 2003

We Could Only See 100 Feet Ahead Of Aircraft

The sky was black and brown and we were enveloped by smoke from the oil wells that Saddam had ordered set afire.

And the further we moved Northward the worse the weather got.

The winds were blowing dust so hard that it was difficult to see much farther than the aircraft in front of us, which wasn’t more than 100 feet.

We felt obligated to continue though, because we were carrying heavy metal boxes hung below our aircraft that contained Apache helicopter parts desperately needed at their destination.

The Aircraft Becomes Uncontrollable

The winds picked up even more and the aircraft became almost uncontrollable.

Our aircraft was flung past the aircraft in front of me by winds in excess of 70 knots and at one point while being tossed about, the load beneath our aircraft came within 10 feet of the ground!

We climbed and the load itself became so unstable that I had to jettison it before it caused us to crash.

A Safe Landing

As we climbed above the blowing dust I looked down at the fuel gauge and my heart sank, the gauge read less than 500 pounds of gas and that isn’t much for such a big aircraft!

I decided that the best thing to do was to turn into the wind and begin a controlled descent in an attempt to land.

At 1100 feet the ground came into sight but then disappeared but we picked it back up again at around 100 feet and safely landed.

Once on the ground there was a collective sigh of relief from all crew members but we still had major problems.

Hovering And Rolling On The Aircrafts Wheels

We were still 25 km from our destination, fuel critical and unable to talk with the other aircraft in our flight.

We decided to continue toward our destination hovering forward low to the ground, and at times, rolling on our wheels across the desert!

Every inch closer to friendlies was one less inch we had to walk and that much closer to rescue but we had only a couple of minutes of fuel remaining and had only moved 6 km.

Both Engines Die And Then The APU Too

Heath, my co-pilot, attempted to contact our unit on the long range High Frequency (HF) radio to give our position.

We were creeping forward at about 15 feet above the ground when the #1 engine flamed out and almost immediately the #2 engine flamed out too.

I performed a hovering autorotation and floated the aircraft safely to the ground and immediately started the Auxiliary Power Unit (APU) so that our radios would have power.

Heath reset the HF radio because of the power fluctuation and tried to send our position again but it didn’t get through.

Then our APU flamed out.

What To Do Next?

We sat there for a few seconds contemplating what to do next.

We were still 19 km from our destination according to our Global Positioning System (GPS). and the visibility was no more than 200 yards due to blowing dust and sand.

We thought that we saw enemy vehicles moving toward us but, thank God, they turned out to be bushes that were being shaken by the extremely high winds.

We discussed walking to our original destination and joked that since it was over 12 miles we could get credit for the annual 12 mile road march training requirement.

We were serious about walking to friendly forces but decided that we should wait until after dark when it was cooler because we remembered that BK Fox had taught us, “conserve sweat, not water”.

It was 12:30 p.m. local time so we would have to wait at least 5 hours before starting our trek and we sat there keeping a vigilant watch for enemy vehicles.

Contact With A Friendly Aircraft

At one point the visibility picked up to about 500 yards and to our North we saw what appeared to be a small convoy and a possible encampment but we later we discovered that it was only more bushes.

We moved away from the aircraft.

Two of us manned the M60 door guns while the other two dug hasty fighting positions in the bushes and low ground a safe distance from the aircraft.

As we moved the last of our equipment to our positions I took the hand-held survival radio out of my vest and attempted to call for help. No answer. I tried a few more times and then turned the radio off to save the battery.

Later I climbed onto the top of the aircraft to try for better reception.

I was a bit nervous in this because being up there I would be in a pretty vulnerable position should we get attacked but after a couple of tries I finally reached a friendly aircraft.

We authenticated each other (made sure the other was friendly) and I told him that we were a downed aircrew with both engines flamed out and all 4 crew members are safe with no injuries.

We set up a communication schedule so that I could conserve battery power on my radio.

The wind was still blowing very hard and visibility was still poor and we thought we heard vehicles approaching but the sounds turned out to be the wind whipping through our aircraft.

Isolation in a hostile environment sure makes for an active imagination!

We were relieved when we were finally able to give the aircraft we were talking with our position using an encryption code which meant that friendlies could now start working their way to us.

About 5 minutes later two F-15’s flew overhead.

They got down to about 100 feet above the ground and flew over top of our position rocking their wings and giving us a thumbs-up and we all stood up and waved and returned the greeting.

Heath said,

"He was so low I could almost read his nametag".

Our new best friend did a climb straight up and then said he had to go for fuel and would be back in 30 minutes.

Around sunset we talked to our friend again and told him we were planning to walk to our destination after dark.

He told us to maintain current position that someone was on the way and we were positive that we’d be picked up soon.

When it was my turn for guard shift I grabbed my Night Vision Goggles (NVGs) and started roving.

False Hope And Then Rescue

I spoke with another pilot who told me he had two helicopters and was guiding them to our position and I looked out to the horizon and saw their infra-red search lights coming right for our position.

I alerted the crew to prepare for recovery but a few moment later, the lights, which were about 8-10 miles away, turned and disappeared into the distance.

As the night progressed I noticed that my crew members were getting cold.

The temp had dropped and we didn’t have much warm gear in the fighting positions, so I woke SPC Phelps and asked him to come to the aircraft to help me find the sleeping bags and bring them back to the fighting positions.

We continued pulling shifts and monitoring the radio.

At sunup the next morning a team of infantrymen from the Rakkasans showed up to provide a covering force for us and we were greatly relieved to have friendly faces show up.

Thanks Go To Our Survival Trainer

When we returned to the unit area one of the first things I wanted to do was find BK Fox and thank him for the survival training.

Everything he taught us worked and facilitated our being found and I credit our survival and safe return to the training we received from BK Fox.

Thanks BK Fox!

Mark Ilg – CW3 (RET)

This entry was posted in Accident, plane, war, Wildermess. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Thank You BK Fox For Teaching Us To Survive

  1. goslow says:

    The main objective of survival training is to give a person confidence for all situations and to orient the survival mindset.

    After having several instances in my life that quick thinking and positive thinking is what made the situations better than what they could have been, stay calm and focused saved my life in a hunting accident that I can now laugh about.

    • SurvivalMom says:

      This is so true!

      A positive mental attitude is a MUST for survival.

      We can be robbed of our supplies but no one can steal our SKILLS. =)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *